Discussion: Lobbying for Typst adoption by publishers

Two minor points:

  1. I wrote a Typst template for the [acmsmall]{acmart} LaTeX configuration expected by some ACM conferences and journals, approximate-acmsmall. I encourage people to try to use it, and tell conference/journal editors about them. Currently it is possible to submit a Typst paper (with this template or another) to arXiv, asking for a PDF-only submission, but not possible to actually submit such a document to the ACM for publication, as the conference/journals I am familiar with (SIGPLAN-affiliated) ask for TeX sources to use in their own automated pipeline. I think that we need expressions of interest from prospective users to encourage editors to spend energy on Typst.

  2. Regarding the question of having a Typst distribution: an alternative would be to have a small script to make a Typst document self-contained. The typst would fetch all external packages that the document relies on, possibly font files as well, and return a version of the document that builds from these local assets in a self-contained way, along with a metadata file describing where the packages are coming from and which Typst version is known to work for this self-contained document. The result would be highly reproducible.

6 Likes